Health Financing Technical Director - Uganda
Results for Development (R4D) is a leading non-profit global development partner. We collaborate with change agents around the world — government officials, civil society leaders and social innovators — to create strong systems that support healthy, educated people. We help our partners move from knowing their goal to knowing how to reach it. We combine global expertise in health, education and nutrition with analytic rigor, practical support for decision-making and implementation and access to peer problem-solving networks. Together with our partners, we build self-sustaining systems that serve everyone and deliver lasting results. Then we share what we learn so others can achieve results for development, too.
R4D is preparing for an anticipated Health Systems Strengthening activity in Uganda aimed at improving the leadership and accountability of results in public and private health sectors at the national, sub national and community levels. This activity will include implementation of innovative interventions to increase efficient use, governance, and management of key health system resources including human resources for health, finance, equipment/infrastructure; and strengthen state and non-state community health systems that are critical for improved and quality health services.
R4D is seeking a Health Financing Technical Director to lead work supporting national and subnational efforts to increase domestic financing for health and efficient use of key financial and non-financial resources for health. The Technical Director will lead R4D’s in-country work on multiple health financing objectives, including: increasing the use of evidence-based advocacy to support increased budgets for health; improving health budget preparation, management, and execution; identifying and implementing innovating health financing options, and improving management of financial resources for human resources.
The Technical Director will have a deep understanding of and experience working in health financing, public financial management, private sector engagement, results-based financing, and universal health coverage within the Ugandan context. The Technical Director will be responsible for managing a team of 4-5 staff based in Uganda and liaising with R4D’s Washington, D.C. based team on the overall technical direction of the work.
Please note, this position is contingent upon award.
This position is based in Kampala, Uganda and will report to the Program Director. Local country nationals are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Directly supervise the Uganda-based Health Financing team
- Maintain strong and positive working relationships with clients, partners, and key stakeholders including USAID and Ugandan government
- In collaboration with the COP, DCOP, and other Technical Directors, develop and implement annual work plans that reflect the health financing priorities of USAID, the Uganda Ministry of Health, and other stakeholders
- Develop and implement innovative health financing options at national, district, and regional referral and selected hospital levels
- Collaborate with the Government of Uganda (GoU) and relevant private sector institutions to implement relevant interventions that improve efficient management of both human and financial resources
- Support interventions for the use of evidence-based advocacy for increasing the health sector budget
- Support the GoU and Uganda Ministry of Health in health sector budget preparation, management, and execution
- In collaboration with the Health Financing team, build capacity for adopting new health financing strategies through innovative and strategic use of local CSOs, NGOs, and grantees to UHSS
- Coordinate, plan, and implement institutional learning activities supporting the achievement of project goals and objectives, such as special studies, pauses and reflection activities, after action reviews, briefings, and communities of practices, learning events and/or seminars
- Build capacity for integrating and adapting to lessons learned and changes in project context.
- MA in public health, economics or health finance, international development, or related discipline
- At least seven (7) years of experience working on health sector programming of similar size and complexity in Uganda and/or East Africa
- Experience leading innovative health financing initiatives in Uganda on USAID-funded programming
- Strong background and experience in health financing, the Ugandan public health sector, and financial policy development required
- Experience organizing and mobilizing various stakeholders and resources to improve health outcomes
Results for Development is an EOE/M/F//Vet/Disabled/Affirmative Action Employer committed to fostering and nurturing an energetic, collaborative and diverse workforce. R4D provides market-competitive salaries and comprehensive employee benefits.