Results for Development (R4D) is a leading non-profit global development partner. We collaborate with change agents around the world — government officials, civil society leaders and social innovators — to create strong systems that support healthy, educated people. We help our partners move from knowing their goal to knowing how to reach it. We combine global expertise in health, education and nutrition with analytic rigor, practical support for decision-making and implementation and access to peer problem-solving networks. Together with our partners, we build self-sustaining systems that serve everyone and deliver lasting results. Then we share what we learn so others can achieve results for development, too.
We have a unique and vibrant culture at R4D and we want to keep it that way. Diversity, equity and inclusion are at the heart of our work environment and help advance our mission. Diversity—of ideas, identities, perspectives and backgrounds—is vital to who we are and what we do. We seek people who embrace these values and will help reinforce them. Our work culture is collaborative, creative, and entrepreneurial. We operate based on trust and respect. Teams across the organization frequently collaborate on programmatic work and support each other in continuously building a better R4D.
This senior leadership position at R4D leads all human resources operations, organizational development, talent acquisition, staff engagement efforts, leader and staff development, and other critical processes and programs under the HR umbrella. The senior director acts as a strategic advisor to R4D’s Chief Human Capital and Operations Officer (to whom s/he reports) on all human resources issues and partners with R4D’s executive leadership team to develop and implement strategies, programs, and systems to ensure that our people and partners are best aligned to promote the achievement of our mission. The senior director is responsible for designing, executing and maintaining progressive, flexible, and responsible human capital programs in a global workplace, ensuring that R4D continues to embed and advance our organization’s shared commitment to equity and inclusiveness for an increasingly diverse staff.
Specifically, the senior director:
- Develops and implements a long-term, global, inclusive, and equitable human capital strategy that allows our increasingly diverse staff to make a significant impact in the world and to thrive professionally. Executes programs and initiatives that support the strategy and entrepreneurial culture, including a holistic approach to equitable and consistent employee recruitment, compensation, and retention across the disparate geographies in which R4D works.
- Provides overall oversight and management of human resources, including but not limited to strategic planning, talent acquisition and retention, benefits planning and administration, culture and organizational development, performance management, employee relations, training and development, staff travel safety and duty of care, immigration and work permits, overall human resources compliance, and fully integrating a focus on diversity, equity, and inclusiveness into each of these functions.
- Leads change initiatives to drive organizational effectiveness, talent development, and growth through a DEI lens.
- Leads R4D’s internal efforts related to diversity, equity, and inclusiveness and creates regular opportunities for staff to learn and grow individually and collectively in these strands of work.
- Develops and continues to grow the sophistication and impact of R4D’ HR infrastructure and team. Identifies opportunities for process improvement, cost reduction, effectiveness, and perceived value.
- Promotes employee morale through individual relationships and effective two-way and group communication.
- Proactively builds and guards R4D’s culture by partnering and collaborating with management to create a positive working environment where employees feel valued, respected, and empowered to perform at their best, regardless of their position or geographic location.
- Spearheads and oversees staff efforts to plan employee social and community service activities and other organization-sponsored events in all of R4D’s geographic locations.
- Provides counsel, coaching, and training to managers in the areas of employee relations, performance management, and leadership.
- Minimum of 15 years professional experience in human resources management and leadership within organizations operating internationally (public, private, multilateral, and/or non-profit) with a demonstrated track record of progressively increasing responsibility and delivery.
- A demonstrated track record of designing, implementing, and overseeing key aspects of an organization’s human capital functions including (but not limited to) talent acquisition and retention, benefits planning and administration, culture and organizational development, performance management, employee relations, training and development, staff travel safety and duty of care, immigration and work permits, overall human resources compliance, and fully integrating a focus on diversity, equity, and inclusiveness into each of these functions.
- A strong and creative problem solver who can balance the important compliance and legal dimensions of human resources management with the need to proactively develop new solutions to operating an increasingly complex global organization.
- Significant people management experience in a global organization working across multiple (and often disparate) geographies.
- Understands the historical context for racial and other systemic inequities and their present-day implications and effectively leads conversations and learning spaces about diversity, equity, and inclusiveness.
- Familiarity with (and ideally, experience working in) project-funded organizations in the international development and/or broader non-profit space.
- Willingness to travel internationally.
- Experience working in developing countries required.
- Ability to set priorities and handle multiple, competing time and resource demands in a highly-matrixed environment.
- High emotional IQ and a reputation for working successfully on teams in a collaborative and constructive manner.