Administration and Finance Officer
About the organization:
Founded in 2008, Result for Development (R4D) has grown rapidly
during its first decade, with a diverse set of programs in global health,
education, and nutrition and funders that include bilateral donors,
multi-lateral development institutions, and private foundations. We collaborate with change agents around the world —
government officials, civil society leaders and social innovators — to create
strong systems that support healthy, educated people. We help our partners move
from knowing their goal to knowing how to reach it. We combine global expertise
in health, education and nutrition with analytic rigor, practical support for
decision-making and implementation and access to peer problem-solving networks.
Together with our partners, we build self-sustaining systems that serve
everyone and deliver lasting results. The
organization has offices in Washington, DC in the United States (140 staff),
Ethiopia, Tanzania, and the UK. Outside of the U.S., we
employ 21 staff in ten countries.
We have a unique and vibrant culture at R4D
and we want to keep it that way. Diversity, equity and inclusion are at the
heart of our work environment and help advance our mission. Diversity—of ideas,
identities, perspectives and backgrounds—is vital to who we are and what we do.
We seek people who embrace these values and will help reinforce them. Our work
culture is collaborative, creative, and entrepreneurial. We operate based on
trust and respect. Teams across the organization frequently collaborate on
programmatic work and support each other in continuously building a better R4D.
R4D is seeking a highly motivated and
committed Administration and Finance Officer (AFO) to play a lead role in financial and related administrative
matters of the R4D Ethiopia office. As AFO you will be responsible for all aspects
of financial management and control, and general administration duties of the
country office. You will work closely with the Country Director, Country
program team, and finance team at HQ, to develop and strengthen good financial
management and administration practices in line with the R4D’s organizational
policies and procedures, and relevant laws of Ethiopia. You will utilize skills
in organization, written and verbal communication, accounting, general office
management, IT, local and international travels, and vendor and consultant
hiring and contracting.
successful AFO will be highly motivated, responsible and organized with great
attention to detail; will have strong communication and collaboration skills;
will be a creative problem solver and a team-player; will take initiative and
conduct their abilities with the highest level of integrity. We are a team that
is resourceful, responsible, tenacious, high-energy, and always has a positive
attitude. We hope you that you value these personality traits as much as we do!
This position is
based in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, and will report to the Country Director.
Responsibilities include, but are not
- Provide key support in liaising between R4D Ethiopia as well as R4D finance, human resource and operations teams in Washington, DC
- In close collaboration with Country Director and HR, finance and operations team in DC, update and maintain program Operations Manuals (e.g. Financial, HR and
- Procurement), which outlines policies and guidelines in areas such as accounting, per diem, procurement, and project administration, that are aligned with R4D HQ policies
- and compliant with Ethiopian laws
- In close collaboration with Country Director and Finance team in DC, establish and maintain Accounting system, policies and protocols to ensure program expenditures are in compliance with Agency for Civil Society Organizations and funder requirements.
- Prepare and review monthly payroll for R4D country office staffs
- Calculate income tax, pension and other payroll related obligations for both employees and employer
- Timely remit payments of payroll taxes, pensions and other payroll related obligations to the various governmental agencies
- Submit cash advance requests to HQ to ensure available cash baalnces
- Process transfer of the net salary payments into employees' bank accounts
- Put payroll related expenses into an accounting register in accordance with R4D's chart of accounts
- Advice on tax and payments on termination
- Ensure new staff registration for pension fund
Finance and Accounting:
- Prepare payments of expenses, collect receipts, related documents and put them into an accounting register in accordance with R4D's chart of accounts
- Ensure that appropriate taxes are collected and paid to the concerned government bodies on due date, which will include preparing and processing monthly payment vouchers and creditors reconciliation;
- Review and ensure that all financial transactions are in line with the financial policy and procedures of R4D and relevant laws of Ethiopia;
- Perform monthly reconciliations of bank accounts and other accounts in the general ledger;
- Prepare monthly income, expense and balance sheets reports to be reviewed by respective Program Directors andheadquarter Finance;
- Prepare the annual income, expense and balance sheet statements to be audited by an independent accounting firm at the end of each calendar year;
- Ensure accuracy of supporting documentation for accounting records;
- Arrange, organize and keep safely accounting documents;
Financial Reporting service:
- Support R4D HQ and the Country Director prepare and submit necessary financial /accounting reports for the Agency for Civil Society Organizations
- Coordinate with landlord for repairs and maintenance around the office
- Coordinate with Ethio telecome for repair and maintenance of internet line
- Process of work permits for international staff
- General office administration
- BSc in accounting or other related degree
- Minimum 5 years of relevant work experience in financial management and office administration
- Excellent Quick Books experience
- Preferably have experience working with the non-profit organization
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Detail oriented
- High level of proficiency in Microsoft Office, particularly Excel, PowerPoint, and Word
- Willingness to travel domestically to support project events outside Addis Ababa
- Open to Ethiopian Nationals only.
Results for Development is an EOE/M/F/Vet/Disabled/Affirmative Action Employer committed to fostering
and nurturing an energetic, collaborative and diverse workforce. R4D provides market-competitive salaries and comprehensive employee benefits.