Results for Development (R4D) is a leading non-profit global development
partner. We collaborate with change agents around the world — government
officials, civil society leaders and social innovators — to create strong
systems that support healthy, educated people. We help our partners move from
knowing their goal to knowing how to reach it. We combine global expertise in
health, education and nutrition with analytic rigor, practical support for
decision-making and implementation and access to peer problem-solving networks.
Together with our partners, we build self-sustaining systems that serve
everyone and deliver lasting results. Then we share what we learn so others can
achieve results for development, too.
We have a unique and vibrant culture at R4D. Diversity, equity and
inclusion are at the heart of our work environment and help advance our
mission. Diversity—of ideas, identities, perspectives and backgrounds—is vital
to who we are and what we do. We seek people who embrace these values and will
help reinforce them. Our work culture is collaborative, creative and
entrepreneurial. We operate based on trust and respect. Teams across the
organization frequently collaborate on programmatic work and support each other
in continuously building a better R4D.
is seeking a dynamic and results focused Controller to lead the accounting
team. The Controller will oversee all daily accounting activities.
The individual will work closely with the Chief Financial Officer to lead
and improve the performance of the finance and accounting services. The ideal
candidate is expected to be self-motivated and able to function/work
independently as well as part of a team to present high quality results within
tight and competing timeframes. The Controller will have outstanding leadership,
problem-solving, interpersonal and diplomacy skills.
This position is based in Washington, DC, and will report to the CFO.
- Develop strategic operating plans for the accounting activities; prepare action plans; provide leadership in the implementation of plans
- Oversee daily accounting activities including the general ledger, accounts receivable, accounts payable, payroll, and cash application according to GAAP
- Direct monthly, quarterly and annual closing activities, and oversee activities to ensure timely and accurate preparation and dissemination of internal and external financial statements and reports according to GAAP
- Prepare monthly financial reports, analyze trends, costs, revenues, financial commitments, and obligations incurred to predict future revenues and expenses
- Provide support the CFO to prepare financial communications and analysis for the executive management and the board of directors
- Ensure all accounts are analyzed and reconciled on a routine basis; and ensure all reconciliations, schedules, fund analysis and presentation of complex financial transactions are completed within 60 days of fiscal year end
- Work with the UK third party accounting firm to ensure financial statements for UK office are prepared in accordance to UK GAAP requirements
- Review payroll to ensure accuracy and coordinate with the HR department to ensure adequate documents for all payroll transactions;
- Ensure the completion and filing of all state, and federal IRS filings and compliance reporting by ADP
- Assume responsibility for financial security, and the integrity of all systems, processes, and data
- Design systems and databases that enable proactive, transparent tracking and reporting
- Coordinate and collaborate in the preparation and review of budgets in line with R4D policy and guidelines
- Ensure compliance with all regulatory requirements, and ensure tax-exempt status is maintained
- Manage the audit process to include audit work-papers, and work with auditors to ensure a clean audit
- Develop and implement policies and procedures in full adherence with regulatory requirements. Plan for on-going monitoring and maintenance of policies and procedures.
- Maintain Finance team’s internal SharePoint site for ease-of-use and support staff in the successful execution of R4D programs.
- Provide comprehensive and fit-for-use trainings to staff on policies and procedures and financial and business acumen.
- Develop and implement internal controls, audits, and best practices across all accounting functions
- Manage professional relationship with vendors such as auditors, bankers, and credit card companies
- Research and interpret accounting policy, apply approved recommendations to operational issues
- Apply broad conceptual judgment, initiative and ability to deal with complex accounting issues
- Provide standard and ad hoc reports in user friendly formats to authorized personnel as needed
- Update knowledge, and keep abreast of current and proposed work-related legislation
- Share knowledge with staff, and provide finance training to new hires, and other employees as needed
- Prepare and submit the NICRA submission annually
- Recruit, train, develop, inspire, lead and manage staff, and conduct timely performance appraisals, and work to attain individual goals and objectives
- Supervise AR Accountant, Payroll Manager, Staff Accountant and Sr Staff Accountant
- Act as back-up to CFO, Accounting Manager and payroll Manager as needed
- Perform all other duties as assigned by the R4D management team
degree in Accounting or Finance; CPA required
years in a financial leadership role (manager or controller) of similar
non-profit with increasing responsibilities/experience
in a finance department required
knowledge of, and ability to apply GAAP and work within strict guidelines
and thorough knowledge of full-cycle accounting, and the application of
ability to understand the flow of transactions and use of an integrated
experience preparing schedules and other documentations for annual audits
knowledge of the Uniform Guidance 2 CFR 200, along with other computer
applications such as Microsoft Office, and its ad-hoc reporting software
ability to calculate, and conduct analysis such as indirect rates and
to maintain the highest degree of confidentiality regarding all aspects of
work at all times
attention to detail and ability to consistently produce timely and
ability to plan, organize, prioritize work, and multitask under pressure
to meet tight deadlines
to successfully work with diverse groups with limited or no understanding
excellent interpersonal skills with leadership, teambuilding, a
client-services focus, and professionalism
ability to work cross-departmentally to drive effective change and execute
to effectively manage time to meet goals and deadlines in a fast-paced
Results for Development is an EOE/M/F/Vet/Disabled/Affirmative Action Employer committed to fostering
and nurturing an energetic, collaborative and diverse workforce. R4D provides market-competitive salaries and comprehensive employee benefits.