Market Shaping Operations Specialist
Results for Development (R4D) is a leading non-profit global development partner. We collaborate with change agents around the world — government officials, civil society leaders and social innovators — to create strong systems that support healthy, educated people. We help our partners move from knowing their goal to knowing how to reach it. We combine global expertise in health, education and nutrition with analytic rigor, practical support for decision-making and implementation and access to peer problem-solving networks. Together with our partners, we build self-sustaining systems that serve everyone and deliver lasting results
R4D’s Market Shaping Practice:
How do we increase access to a cheap, plentiful drug that could save millions of children’s lives yet remains widely
unavailable in certain markets? This is among the unique and powerful questions you will help R4D’s Market Shaping practice answer as a Market Shaping Operations Specialist. We are a team that has deep experience in helping to catalyze increased access to, and appropriate use of, essential products that help people lead healthier, more productive lives. Using practical and business-driven approaches -- from increasing market transparency around the number of potential users, to improving demand forecasting, to developing purchasing and value chain strategies, and to crafting cost-effectiveness and financing gap analyses -- our work ensures that the markets for life-improving goods operates with improved efficiency, and that utilization of those goods also increases.
We’ve previously applied these approaches to achieve more than a billion dollars in savings in countries around the world, improving the availability of high-quality products in health (including for HIV/AIDS, malaria, childhood pneumonia, maternal health, and neglected diseases) as well as in nutrition, education and sanitation.
If that work ignites your imagination, we’d love to tell you more and explore how we can work together!
R4D is seeking a highly motivated and dynamic Market Shaping Operations Specialist to play a key leadership role in the Market Shaping practice. As Market Shaping Operations Specialist, you will provide operational leadership and program management for a team that rapidly develops analyses to identify holistic barriers in a market, generate evidence, and design creative solutions to address identified barriers. Market shaping projects include: increasing access to childhood pneumonia treatment in high-burden countries; analyzing the procurement and financing landscape for maternal, newborn, and child health commodities globally as well as across sub-Saharan Africa; and diagnosing and addressing market challenges to the scale up of treatment for severe acute malnutrition. As part of all this work, you will manage existing stakeholder relationships and cultivate new partnerships at both the country and global levels that aim to communicate our impact and expand it in a creative way. You will also play a key role in helping to shape the strategic development and direction of the market shaping portfolio and will make significant contributions to new business development, including in collaboration with other practice areas at R4D.
A successful Market Shaping Operations Specialist will be highly-motivated, a creative problem solver; have strong operational management, communication, and collaboration skills; and have a commitment to excellence and producing results. We are a team that is resourceful, responsible, tenacious, high-energy, and always has a positive attitude. We hope you that you value these personality traits as much as we do!
This position is based in Washington, DC and will report to the Market Shaping Senior Program Director.
- Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Develop systems and manage global business operations and external relations functions within the team including:
- Human resources needs (especially staff, consultant, and vendor recruitment as needed);
- Budget tracking and overall financial management;
- Contracts and compliance oversight;
- Strategic communications, donor liaising and broader networking within our community of practice;
- Lead the Practice’s collaboration with other program teams and support teams to manage human resources, financial resources, and foster operational excellence more broadly;
- Provide support to MSP staff based in R4D’s international offices in Tanzania and Ethiopia to solve operational challenges as they arise, in collaboration with R4D HQ staff;
- Lead development of donor reporting and external-facing deliverables, ensuring high quality, technical accuracy and appropriate framing for target audiences;
- Develop knowledge management and communication strategies to ensure better systems and to promote the dissemination and uptake of our work;
- Foster and manage strategic relationships with a wide range of domestic and international stakeholders;
- Support business development efforts (in collaboration with market shaping team members and across R4D teams) to mobilize resources to finance new opportunities for impact.
- Minimum 5 years of relevant work experience in operational roles, or 3 years of relevant experience and a Master's degree in public health, business/management, public policy/administration, finance/accounting or related degree;
- Familiarity with global health and nutrition strongly desired;
- Demonstrated track record of conceptualizing, operationalizing, and executing on complex projects and workstreams; ability to set priorities, handle competing time/resource demands, solve problems and work in a fast-paced, dynamic environment as part of a team;
- Significant experience leading the development of high-quality deliverables; excellent written and verbal communication skills, including demonstrated ability to deliver compelling presentations with both technical and non-technical audiences;
Strong interpersonal skills and demonstrated success in cultivating and managing relationships across public and private sector actors, as well as philanthropic donors, including with stakeholders and colleagues based in low- and middle-income countries;
- Highly collaborative and approachable management style;
- High level of proficiency in Microsoft Office, particularly Excel, PowerPoint, and Word.
Results for Development is an EOE/M/F/Vet/Disabled/Affirmative Action Employer committed to fostering
and nurturing an energetic, collaborative and diverse workforce. R4D provides market-competitive salaries and comprehensive employee benefits.