Program Officer - Nutrition
Results for Development (R4D) is a leading non-profit global development partner. We collaborate with change agents around the world — government officials, civil society leaders and social innovators — to create strong systems that support healthy, educated people. We help our partners move from knowing their goal to knowing how to reach it. We combine global expertise in health, education and nutrition with analytic rigor, practical support for decision-making and implementation and access to peer problem-solving networks. Together with our partners, we build self-sustaining systems that serve everyone and deliver lasting results. Then we share what we learn so others can achieve results for development, too.
R4D works with global and country change agents in five main areas:
- Our nutrition financing practice area aims to support resource mobilization efforts and to improve the allocation decisions of key funders for nutrition. Our work includes generating analytics on sustainable financing considerations, costing analysis, and resource tracking.
- Our nutrition innovations practice area aims to support the identification, adaptation, and scale-up of cost-effective innovative solutions that have the potential to tackle big challenges and gaps in nutrition.
- Our data for decision making in the nutrition practice area puts data users at the center of its efforts. We develop tools — including dashboards, scorecards, and performance metrics — and support decision-making processes in a way that is designed to solve the practical decision-making challenges of change agents.
- Our food systems and market-shaping practice area aim to enable and incentivize an ambitious transformation of food systems and diets so that healthy and nutritious foods become aspirational, affordable, and widely available and the drivers of investments, comparative advantage, and profits for businesses.
- Finally, we also provide support to key change agents driving global, regional, or national efforts to tackle malnutrition.
Key examples of our work include:
- Making the case for greater investments in nutrition by developing, in partnership with the World Bank and 1,000 Days, the first-ever Global Investment Framework for Nutrition, which outlined costs and financing scenarios that donors and governments can follow to achieve the World Health Assembly Global Nutrition Targets over the next 10 years.
- Working with the African Development Bank to develop a multisectoral plan of action for nutrition to operationalize AfDB President Adesina’s ambitious vision for improving Africa’s “grey matter infrastructure.”
- Providing direct support — in the form of costing, budgeting, resource tracking, capacity building, and strategic support— in countries that have particularly high malnutrition rates, such as India, Ethiopia, and Nigeria.
To support this mission, R4D seeks a Program Officer to join our rapidly growing Nutrition Practice to lead projects related to sustainable financing for multi-sectoral nutrition and related topics within the nutrition practice. Anticipated projects include technical support to African countries to strengthen components of their nutrition financing systems, including the development of investment cases and resource mobilization strategies; ODA tracking and advising on the donor financing landscape for nutrition, and analysis and recommendations on how to finance stronger nutrition information systems. This position is a unique opportunity to not only lead nutrition team projects but also contribute leadership to a growing and entrepreneurial team. This position is based in Washington, D.C., and will report to R4D’s Senior Program Officer for Nutrition Finance.
As a Program Officer for the nutrition team, you will provide program management and technical contributions for new and ongoing projects in nutrition financing.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Managing projects or discrete workstreams of projects, from project design and inception to overall project management to ensure key project deliverables are completed on time; and learning and adaptation to ensure continued optimal relevance and impact.
- Lead qualitative and quantitative analytical activities
- Provide guidance and management support to more junior team members as needed on project workstreams
- Manage relationships with funders, internal and external experts, clients, and program managers involved in engagements
- Develop creative new ideas for projects and contribute to business development proposals
- Providing thought leadership and technical expertise to the nutrition team and across the broader organization, including representing R4D in external settings, developing knowledge products and writing blog posts, and contributing to R4D’s cross-cutting sustainable financing community of practice alongside nutrition, health and education colleagues
- Support R4D-wide activities that contribute to a strong and positive organizational culture
- An MA with a minimum of 3 years of experience or a BA with a minimum of 5 years of experience in program management, partner management, and strong research skills in global development
- Strong analytical, problem solving, and quantitative skills.
- Demonstrated ability to manage partner relationships and project workstreams
- Proven capacity to synthesize technical content into effective presentations
- Ability to prioritize and manage work in a fast-paced environment across multiple projects and workstreams with competing time/resource demands
- Willingness to travel at least 25% of the time to sub-Saharan Africa and South Asia
- High level of organization, attention to detail, professionalism, and reliability
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team
- Enthusiastic about joining a diverse and inclusive work environment
- Motivated to learn, grow, contribute and produce
- Direct work experience related to health or nutrition or related fields is preferred.
Results for Development is an EOE/M/F/Vet/Disabled/Affirmative Action Employer committed to fostering
and nurturing an energetic, collaborative and diverse workforce. R4D provides market-competitive salaries and comprehensive employee benefits.