Senior Program Associate - Evaluation and Adaptive Learning
Are you interested in questioning the status quo of traditional monitoring and evaluation approaches? Are you committed to working with local change agents to create improved and sustained impact? Are you energized by activities that scrutinize and validate underlying assumptions to maximize impact?
Results for Develompent (R4D) is seeking an entrepreneurial, strategic, and creative individual to serve as a Senior Program Associate (SPA) in its Evaluation and Adaptive Learning (EAL) Practice.
The EAL Practice works with partners to devise new strategies to address problems in health, education, and nutrition, and to generate evidence as they design, test, and iterate on potential solutions. The team conducts targeted research using methods such as randomized control trials, formative research, and lean testing to answer questions relevant to donor and practitioner strategies. We tailor our best methods to partner needs and constraints to fuse evidence with action. And we work in partnership with internal and external stakeholders with the goal of using monitoring, evaluation, and learning approaches to inform decisions that can improve performance and accelerate impact.
The SPA will be joining a highly collaborative team that embraces innovation and learning together as we are embarking upon a period of rapid growth within our portfolio. We are seeking someone who can take ownership over critical elements of our research and who can work well independently and as part of team.
The SPA will have the opportunity to work on a variety of different projects across the organization, but initially will be supporting quantitative and qualitative research on two projects:
- USAID-funded Transitioning into Graduation through Enhanced Resilience (TIGER)-Operations Research (OR) with the goal of researching, testing, and refining promising models for the integration of social protection programs in Ethiopia before those models are scaled up; and
- Givewell-funded Childhood Pneumonia Treatment Program, which aims to increase access to and use of amoxicillin for childhood pneumonia in Tanzania.
This position is based in Washington D.C., but may require travel internationally up to 25% once COVID-19 restrictions have been lifted. The SPA will report to a Senior Program Officer.
Your work will encompass a range of tasks related to research implementation, data analysis, project management, and communications. All of this work is critical to the successful implementation of our projects and running of our practice.
Research implementation responsibilities:
- You will contribute to the design of data collection activities, including the drafting of concept notes and other design documents; participate in the data collection, including by attending interviewer trainings, monitoring incoming data from interviewers, and troubleshooting challenges in coordination with other team members; and oversee data collection activities remotely or in various local contexts overseas.
- You will conduct original research including literature reviews and formative research, through methods like key informant interviews and focus group discussions. You will also support development of interview protocols and survey tools for mixed-methods research.
- Coordinating data collection partners to ensure high quality data collection efforts, including consultants and data collection firms.
- Contribute to critical business development activities.
Data, programming, analysis, and knowledge management responsibilities:
- Wrangling/cleaning government or client data, and supporting the analysis, validation, and management of quantitative and qualitative data using statistical or other data-processing software
- Synthesize, visualize, and communicate results, writing excellent, efficient, reproducible, and clearly annotated code in Stata or R; coding, organizing, and analyzing qualitative data using atlas.ti or nVivo programs; Import/export data from and to other data management systems; organize data into repositories with appropriate tags and code to comply with funder requirements and ensure appropriate knowledge management; and generate coherent statistical and narrative analyses and accompanying tables and explanations.
- You will implement econometric models designed by researchers; support the development of pre-analysis plans; and help with data-quality checks for ongoing work.
Project management and communications responsibilities:
- You will provide project management and logistics support, such as developing contracts, tracking finances, and drafting funder progress reports; organizing meetings and workshops; coordinating travel arrangements; and facilitating IRB submissions.
- Foster relationships with stakeholders, including within R4D, with funders, and with country and technical partners.
- Support internal and external communications: creating polished presentations, reports, briefing materials, blog posts, newsletters, meeting summaries, thought pieces, and e-communications on analysis and key topics of interest.
- BA + 3 years or MA + 1 year of relevant professional experience
- Strong academic record in statistics, economics, mathematics, computer science, or public administration, public policy, public health, or related discipline
- Enthusiastic about joining a diverse and inclusive work environment
- Ability to function flexibly and independently and have a strong commitment to excellence and attention to detail
- Knowledge of and experience with both quantitative and qualitative research methods
- Excellent quantitative coding skills (R/Stata or similar)
- Experience with qualitative coding software, such as atlas.ti or nVivo, preferred, but not required
- Familiarity with impact evaluation methods and data collection tools
- Experience standardizing data sets to a common format and using data repositories for knowledge management
- Strong writer and oral communicator in English with a proven track record of preparing presentations and reports, as well as an ability to describe technical problems and solutions to a non-technical audience
- Experience working within a multi-disciplinary team including researchers, analysts, and programmers
- Energy, professionalism, and composure under pressure
- Ability to set priorities and handle multiple, competing time and resource demands
- Willingness to travel internationally up to 25% once COVID-19 restrictions have been lifted
Results for Development is an EOE/M/F/Vet/Disabled/Affirmative Action Employer committed to fostering
and nurturing an energetic, collaborative and diverse workforce. R4D provides market-competitive salaries and comprehensive employee benefits.