Results for Development (R4D) is a leading non-profit global development partner. We collaborate with change agents around the world — government officials, civil society leaders and social innovators — to create strong systems that support healthy, educated people. We help our partners move from knowing their goal to knowing how to reach it. We combine global expertise in health, education and nutrition with analytic rigor, practical support for decision-making and implementation and access to peer problem-solving networks. Together with our partners, we build self-sustaining systems that serve everyone and deliver lasting results. Then we share what we learn so others can achieve results for development, too.
R4D is seeking a dynamic Assistant Controller to join the Finance team. The Assistant Controller will oversee all daily accounting activities for a $40M international NGO. The individual will work closely with the Controller and Chief Financial Officer to lead and improve the performance of the senior, A/R and AP accountants, and payroll administrator. The ideal candidate is expected to be self-motivated and able to function/work independently as well as part of a team to present high quality results within tight and competing timeframes. The Assistant Controller will have outstanding analytical, problem-solving, interpersonal and diplomacy skills.
This Position is based in Washington, DC, and will report to the Controller.
- Act as back-up to the Controller, and payroll accountant as needed
- Oversee and direct daily accounting activities including the general ledger, accounts receivable, accounts payable, payroll, and cash management (ACH, WIRE, Check, Credit Cards) in accordance with best practices and GAAP
- Direct monthly, quarterly and annual closing activities, and oversee activities to ensure timely and accurate preparation financial statements and reports
- Ensure all accounts are analyzed and reconciled on a routine basis; and ensure all reconciliations, schedules, fund analysis and presentation of complex financial transactions are completed within 60 days of fiscal year end
- Manage core databases: timesheets, expense reports, employee database, general ledger
- Develop and implement best practices, policies and procedures in full adherence with regulatory requirements (GAAP and Uniform Guidance)
- Research and interpret accounting policy, apply approved recommendations to operational issues
- Provide standard and ad hoc reports in user friendly formats
- Provide guidance and leadership to accounting team to optimize team performance and individual development
- Lead process improvement initiatives, provide team and org-wide trainings to new hires, and other employees as needed
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Finance; CPA preferred but not required
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience performing accounting functions, including revenue recognition, Accounts Payable, and monthly close
- Fluent in English
- Ability to apply GAAP
- Thorough knowledge of full-cycle accounting, and the application of accounting theories
- Ability to understand the flow of transactions and use of an integrated accounting system
- Prior experience preparing schedules and other documentations for annual audits
- Knowledge of the Uniform Guidance 2 CFR 200, along with other computer applications such as Microsoft Office, and its ad-hoc reporting software
- Past experience calculating indirect rates and preparing budget forecasts
- Ability to maintain the highest degree of confidentiality regarding all aspects of work at all times
- Attention to detail and ability to consistently produce timely and accurate work
- Strong ability to plan, organize, prioritize work, and multitask under pressure to meet tight deadlines
- Ability to successfully work with diverse groups with limited or no understanding of accounting
- Demonstrate excellent interpersonal skills with leadership, a client-services focus, and professionalism
- Ability to effectively manage time to meet goals and deadlines in a fast-paced environment
Results for Development is an EOE/M/F/Vet/Disabled/Affirmative Action Employer committed to fostering
and nurturing an energetic, collaborative and diverse workforce. R4D provides market-competitive salaries and comprehensive employee benefits.