Communications Associate - Joint Learning Network
Results for Development (R4D) is a global nonprofit organization working with partners in more than 55 countries to find new ways to help people escape poverty and reach their full potential. We apply fresh thinking and rigor to emerging and stubborn development challenges—particularly within the fields of health, education and governance—and we pioneer and advance creative, high-impact solutions. We do this by conducting analysis that helps to inform and influence decision-makers; building platforms and networks that connect people and ideas; by providing direct support to local change agents; and combining these approaches to deliver meaningful and lasting results.
About the JLN:
The Joint Learning Network for Universal Health Coverage (JLN) is a community of practitioners and policymakers from around the globe who share knowledge and co-develop new tools, guides and resources that address the practical challenges of health systems reform to achieve universal health coverage. The JLN community is comprised of leaders from Ministries of Health and National Financing agencies in 27 Asian, African, Latin American, and European countries, as well as a diverse group of representatives from international organizations and development agencies. Being a collaborative initiative, engaging 27 country members and administered in partnership with several organizations, the communications strategy aims to connect with varied stakeholder groups through a range of communications and outreach activities at several levels. Embedded within these activities is the dissemination of JLN knowledge products and tools to promote their uptake and support countries in their pursuit of equitable and affordable health coverage for all.
R4D seeks a full-time Communications Associate to join the JLN team to play an integral role and to help implement JLN’s Communications and Knowledge Management Strategy to advance the mission and support JLN's core objectives.The Communications Associate will provide a broad range of support for all activities, including developing promotional products, writing blogs and articles, media engagement, online campaigns, social media, promoting events, engaging country members, tracking performance, monitoring adherence to branding and style guide for outputs, and strategizing new communications initiatives.This position is based in Washington, DC, and will report to JLN’s Communications and Knowledge Management Officer.
Tasks and responsibilities will include:
- Help implement JLN’s Communications and Knowledge Management Strategy, geared to promote JLN’s activities, outputs and progress with countries; increase JLN’s global visibility; disseminate knowledge products; and increase member engagement.
- Write and edit blogs and newsletter articles in consultation with JLN’s experts and technical facilitators
- Develop and produce print and online promotional materials as part of branded products, working in coordination with country members and the JLN team
- Contribute social media content and strategies to increase online visibility (Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn)
- Plan and implement media engagement at global and regional levels and in select countries. Tasks include building and maintain media lists, and liaising and pitching to journalists
- Manage member communications and enhance engagement and information dissemination on online portal, in coordination with the JLN team
- Assist in the development and design of JLN flagship publications and marketing collateral, such as annual reports, leaflets, posters, presentations and media kits
- Design and implement campaigns to launch new products
- Help with strategic promotion at events and around milestone developments
- Coordinate with vendors, such as photographers, designers, editors, printers and web support, as needed
- Provide support on planning and administrative tasks as needed (maintaining task trackers and editorial calendars, and organizing materials for key meetings)
- 3-5 years of relevant work experience preferably at a research institution, government, development organization or agency, consulting firm, NGO, or think tank
- Excellent writing and editing skills
- A demonstrated knowledge of global and international development issues, with an interest in JLN’s mission, approach, and activities
- Knowledge of branding basics and working with style guides
- Experience in drafting press releases and pitching stories to journalists. Experience at regional level in Africa, India and South East Asia, especially helpful.
- Amicable interpersonal skills (ability to work collaboratively across multiple teams and with diverse country members)
- An eye for aesthetics and visual presentation for communication products
- Experience in online media platforms, including blogging and social media
- A keen sense of identifying media opportunities and timely topics for blogs
- Strong proficiency in MS Word and PowerPoint and ability to organize information in Excel
- Experience with design software InDesign and/or Adobe Photoshop is desired (not required)
- Strong skills working in team as a collaborator; problem solver; and independent thinker
- Good sense of humor under pressure, highly organized and attention to detail
- Ability to multitask in a fast-paced, often rapidly changing environment
- Skills in video editing
- Please submit a writing sample along with your application, CV and Cover Letter here https://r4d.csod.com/ats/careersite/JobDetails.aspx?id=36
Results for Development Institute is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer: D/V, committed to fostering and nurturing an energetic, collaborative and diverse workforce. R4D provides market-competitive salaries and comprehensive employee benefits.