TOR - Capacity building support to Ethiopia Pharmaceutical Supply Agency
Results for Development (R4D) is a leading non-profit global development partner. We collaborate with change agents around the world — government officials, civil society leaders and social innovators — to create strong systems that support healthy, educated people. We help our partners move from knowing their goal to knowing how to reach it. We combine global expertise in health, education and nutrition with analytic rigor, practical support for decision-making and implementation and access to peer problem-solving networks. Together with our partners, we build self-sustaining systems that serve everyone and deliver lasting results. Then we share what we learn so others can achieve results for development, too.
Results for Development (R4D) through its Market Shaping work
contributes to global and country level efforts towards improving continuous
availability of affordable and high-quality essential health and nutrition
commodities in the public health system. We particularly leverage market shaping practices both at global and
country levels by identifying critical market inefficiencies and working
closely with key actors to develop and execute market solutions across the
supply, demand, financing and regulatory aspects of the market at scale.
In Ethiopia, specifically R4D has been
supporting the Ethiopia Pharmaceutical and Supply Agency (EPSA) in shaping the
market to catalyze increased access to and appropriate use of child health
commodities such as amoxicillin dispersible tablet, and most recently expanded
its support to address system level market shaping capacity building needs.
Historically, EPSA has relied on donors
and partners for market shaping support, which have generally taken the form of
short-term, product specific and not focused on addressing broader system-level
market shaping needs or on building EPSA’s market shaping capacities. In 2018, EPSA established for the first time
a Quantification and Market Shaping Directorate (QMSD) to own, design and
deliver market shaping interventions which is an important milestone towards
self-reliant and sustainable market shaping investment in the public health
system. While EPSA had a substantial track record in quantification prior to the establishment of QMSD, market shaping is a new role for
EPSA. Catalytic capacity building support that center around building ownership
and sustainability is needed to help QMSD develop experience and capacity specifically
in market shaping, to enable EPSA to fully play a lead “market manager” role.
A consultant is therefore needed to support
R4D’s market shaping team in the design and delivery of appropriate capacity
building support to QMSD and other relevant directorates within EPSA. This
support will be informed with the findings from the ongoing comprehensive
market shortcomings assessment, and will be provided concurrently with QMSD
organizational structure optimization work, for which a separate ToR is
available at TOR - Technical assistance support to design organizational blueprint for QMSD. Interested consultants who believe they
are qualified for both consultancies are encouraged to apply for both.
The overall objective
of this consultancy work is to strengthen capacity within QMSD and other
relevant directorates within EPSA towards owning, standardizing and
continuously playing a lead market shaping role through a well-designed and
properly delivered coaching support.
III. Scope of Work
The consultant will be expected to
undertake the following key activities.
- Support R4D market shaping team in Ethiopia to identify capacity building needs of QMSD and other directorates within EPSA in core market shaping technical skills and general leadership / soft skills important to lead the design and implementation of market shaping interventions
- Closely collaborate withR4D market shaping team in Ethiopia to explore existing capacity building experiences have been effective at sustainably strengthening learnings and skills in new areas, and design catalytic capacity building methods and contents including their adaptation to an e-learning platform to ensure its use in situations where face to face training is not feasible
- Facilitate market shaping capacity building training continuity and expansion through integration into EPSA’s overall workforce competency development strategy plan
- Deliver selected capacity building activities on market shaping practices with focus to coaching support and few targeted face to face or virtual trainings to QMSD and other relevant directorates within EPSA by embedding into the ongoing QMSD market shaping activities.
- Support R4D market shaping team in Ethiopia in the design of collaboration methodologies with different in-country institutions to build market shaping center of excellence
- (budget and interest/bandwidth permitting) other activities jointly identified by the consultant and the R4D team as valuable to fulfill the overall objectives of the project
IV. Reporting Line
The consultant will report directly to
a member of the MSCIP senior project leadership (Country Director, Ethiopia
office, or Program Director, Market Shaping Practice), and liaise directly with
other members of the project team in Addis when relevant.
V. Type and Duration of Contract
Part-time consultancy work during the
period between October 1, 2020 to October 1, 2021, with possibility of
VI. Duty station
Work is anticipated to be performed
remotely from the home location of the consultant, with essential travel for
meetings in Addis Ababa at stages where intensive face to face discussion with
EPSA and QMSD leadership is critically needed, and based on a joint assessment
of the COVID-19 situation. Please note, as an organization R4D is taking a conservative
approach to consultant and staff travel and is likely to be significantly more
cautious than is required by any local or international rules.
VII. Qualifications of consultant
- MA in business administration, supply chain / pharmaceuticals, public health, or other relevant discipline to market shaping for health commodities
- Minimum 10 Years of relevant experience, to include:
- Hands-on experience in health commodity market shaping and/or pharmaceuticals supply chain system strengthening in low- and middle-income countries
- Experience delivering coaching and mentoring support to government sectors in low- and middle-income countries
- Experience in assessment of capacity needs, and design of appropriate technical content and learning approach to build capacity, preferably in the context of market shaping and/or pharmaceuticals supply chain system strengthening
- Strong qualitative and quantitative analytical skills as well as the ability to skillfully communicate, both verbally and in writing, with a variety of stakeholders including government officials, private sector, implementing partners, and donors.
- Demonstrated experience and comfort with strategic thinking around complex qualitative and quantitative analytical methodologies while providing guidance to others’ analytical skills
- Highly collaborative team player, and possess keen problem-solving skills with experience independently driving analysis.
- Fluency in English language is required; knowledge of Amharic is an advantage but not required
- High level of proficiency in Microsoft Office, particularly Excel, PowerPoint, and Word
- Willingness to travel domestically and internationally depending on the COVID-19 related global and local restrictions
VIII. How to
Interested consultants who fulfill the above qualifications are encouraged to submit an up to date CV along with application letter that clearly describes your fit for the role and how you fulfill the objectives of this consultancy work, through the Apply Now button at the top of this page.
Results for Development is an EOE/M/F/Vet/Disabled/Affirmative Action Employer committed to fostering
and nurturing an energetic, collaborative and diverse workforce. R4D provides market-competitive salaries and comprehensive employee benefits.