Program Director - Health Financing Indonesia
Results for Development (R4D) is a leading non-profit global development partner. We collaborate with change agents around the world — government officials, civil society leaders and social innovators — to create strong systems that support healthy, educated people. We help our partners move from knowing their goal to knowing how to reach it. We combine global expertise in health, education and nutrition with analytic rigor, practical support for decision-making and implementation and access to peer problem-solving networks. Together with our partners, we build self-sustaining systems that serve everyone and deliver lasting results. Then we share what we learn so others can achieve results for development, too.
We have a unique and vibrant culture at R4D. Diversity—of ideas, identities, perspectives and backgrounds—is vital to who we are and what we do. We seek people who embrace these values and will help reinforce them. Our work culture is collaborative, creative, and entrepreneurial. We operate based on trust and respect. Teams across the organization frequently collaborate on programmatic work and support each other in continuously building a better R4D.
R4D seeks a highly motivated and dynamic Program Director - Health Financing in Indonesia to play a key role in the Global Health Practice contributing research and program management expertise to USAID’s Health Financing Activity.
Indonesia’s national health insurance scheme, Jaminan Kesehatan Nasional (JKN), covers more than 200 million people (>75% of the population). JKN is an important means of providing access to essential health services for the population, but the increasing cost of JKN and ongoing budget deficits jeopardize its sustainability. Deficits need to be managed by stabilizing the growth in health expenditure per member while maintaining access to necessary services and improving quality. The national health insurance agency (BPJS-K) can strengthen JKN’s financial sustainability while also improving quality and service delivery outcomes by adopting more strategic health purchasing approaches. To this end, the Government of Indonesia will implement two strategic health purchasing pilot initiatives to better incentivize providers to provide improved quality care and work towards better value for money in health. One pilot, in Serang district, will focus on maternal and newborn health (MNH) services. The second pilot, in Medan district, will focus on tuberculosis (TB) diagnosis and treatment services. The interventions will test new ways of contracting and paying providers for these services.
Funding for the pilots is provided by two USAID-sponsored projects in Indonesia (the USAID Health Financing Activity1 and the USAID Tuberculosis Private Sector Activity2). The two projects have been supporting the design of these pilots and will oversee their implementation, in close collaboration with the government of Indonesia. R4D is a subcontractor on both of these projects, providing technical leadership on strategic purchasing across all project
- USAID’s Health Financing Activity (HFA), led by ThinkWell, will further USAID’s health systems strengthening agenda to support the Government of Indonesia (GOI) to sustain and increase efficiency in health financing to improve financial protection, equitable access to quality health services, and health outcomes in the priority areas of HIV, tuberculosis, and maternal and newborn health.
- USAID’s Tuberculosis Private Sector Activity (TBPS), led by FHI360, aims to contribute to Indonesia’s national goals to reduce tuberculosis (TB) prevalence and incidence by increasing the number of private provider clients who receive quality TB services. Specifically, the goal of TBPS is to increase the number of care-seeking clients in the private sector who are correctly diagnosed, notified, and have successfully completed TB treatment.
objectives, and is responsible for preparing the pilot design, facilitating national and district level coordination for pilot implementation, and developing capacity building modules.
R4D is seeking a Program Director – Health Financing based in Jakarta, Indonesia to play a crucial leadership, technical, and management role for the R4D team as we implement the two strategic purchasing pilots in Indonesia.
Specific external and internal responsibilities include:
- Progressively assume local management responsibility for R4D’s Indonesia programs as the current strategic purchasing lead transitions to an advisory technical role from the United States. Continue to work in close collaboration with U.S.-based technical advisors and managers and maintain frequent, proactive communications with the headquarters team.
- Actively manage R4D technical and operations staff and consultants to execute program workstreams with high quality, achieving project objectives and ensuring effective pilot implementation in both districts. The local technical team currently consists of a stakeholder engagement specialist, two technical staff, a senior program coordinator, and TB and MNH expert consultants. We expect to hire additional technical staff and local district coordinators.
- Fully engage in and contribute to the technical components of both projects, drawing from personal expertise and effectively engaging with technical content experts
- Oversee rigorous evaluation of pilot implementation and outputs, and incorporate feedback from implementation research processes that could improve pilot design and implementation
- Engage and maintain strong relationships with GOI counterparts championing the work, including the Ministry of Health (PPJK, Family Health Unit, and National TB Program) and the National Health Insurance Agency (BPJS-K) among other national-level stakeholders; district leadership in Serang and Medan; external partners, such as the World Bank, Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation; and other implementing partners.
- Serve as R4D’s leadership point of contact with ThinkWell, FHI360, and USAID/Indonesia, responsively addressing any problems that may arise and promoting open communication with the broader HFA and TBPS teams.
- Effectively represent R4D externally and describe technical elements of our work clearly and compellingly.
- Identify and respond to project needs for technical expertise on health financing and policy topics; advise on technical questions and/or solicit and coordinate advising from technical staff and external consultants
- Facilitate health financing policy dialogue with GOI stakeholders including MOH, BPJS-K, Ministry of Finance, BAPPENAS, and local government representatives to continue to reinforce the role of strategic purchasing for TB and MNH within JKN.
- In collaboration with technical advisors, ensure high quality of all major deliverables and work products, especially documents in Bahasa Indonesia. Oversee preparation of draft progress summaries, policy briefs, and technical reports as requested.
- Oversee budgets and ensure sound financial management
- Mentor and coach R4D project team members, working with them to set personal and project goals.
- Position R4D to expand its program portfolio in Indonesia in the future.
Qualifications / Requirements:
The ideal candidate for this position will be a highly motivated individual with demonstrated people and project leadership abilities, experience working on pilot implementation projects, research skills, and strong communication and presentation skills. S/he will have demonstrated effectiveness in a highly collaborative
environment, balancing strong leadership with the ability to build-relationships, understand the perspectives of all stakeholders, solve problems, and forge compromises.
- Master’s degree or PhD in relevant field (health economics, public health, medicine, public/social policy, public administration, business/management or similar) plus minimum of 10 years relevant work experience in health finance or health sector programming of similar size and complexity in Indonesia or other relevant South East Asian countries.
- Familiarity with health financing principles and best practices
- Experience working on policy reform and policy implementation processes in Indonesia
- Strong people and project manager, with a track record of designing operations and successfully implementing complex programs with multiple partners and work streams; experience managing pilots a plus
- Strong process facilitation, problem solving, and stakeholder management skills. Highly collaborative engagement style, with demonstrated ability to effectively build relationships and forge compromises. Active listener and facilitator of policy dialogue.
- Familiarity with the Indonesian health system and key actors, including Ministry of Health, BPJS-K, DJSN, and other health sector agencies. Experience working in/with public or private sector health financing organizations desirable.
- Relevant work experience in a global or Indonesian development NGO, consulting firm, and/or development agency
- Eagerness to support and mentor junior staff and peers
- Structured thinker with excellent analytic skills
- Strong writer and oral communicator who can lead the production of highly professional work products
- Ability to effectively set priorities and handle competing time and resource demands for self and others
- Enthusiasm, energy, and composure under pressure
- Fluency in oral and written Bahasa and English
Please note, this position will be based in Jakarta, Indonesia. Indonesian nationals are encouraged to apply. This position includes a local benefits package and does not include international relocation or expatriate benefits.
Results for Development is an EOE/M/F/Vet/Disabled/Affirmative Action Employer committed to fostering
and nurturing an energetic, collaborative and diverse workforce. R4D provides market-competitive salaries and comprehensive employee benefits.