Intern, Accountability and Citizen Engagement
Results for Development (R4D) is a leading non-profit global development partner. We collaborate with change agents around the world — government officials, civil society leaders and social innovators — to create strong systems that support healthy, educated people. We help our partners move from knowing their goal to knowing how to reach it. We combine global expertise in health, education and nutrition with analytic rigor, practical support for decision-making and implementation and access to peer problem-solving networks. Together with our partners, we build self-sustaining systems that serve everyone and deliver lasting results. Then we share what we learn so others can achieve results for development, too.
in 2007, Results for Development (R4D) is a Washington, DC-based organization
dedicated to accelerating social and economic progress in low- and
middle-income countries. R4D creates real solutions to complex
problems by incubating new models to address the unmet needs of the world’s
poor. R4D brings to bear its depth of expertise, analytical rigor, extensive networks, and implementation experience to work on a broad
and ambitious set of development issues -- improving health, governance, and
education in poor countries and leveraging global markets for large-scale
Accountability and Citizen Engagement (ACE) team empowers citizens and civil
society to hold governments, institutions and service delivery providers
accountable. R4D’s Accountability and Citizen Engagement practice is built to
strengthen five essential components of good governance for better health,
education, and nutrition:
- High levels of citizen empowerment and participation: We support the ability and approaches that citizens themselves can use to voice their perception and experience with services and governance and to be involved in actions to improve their health, education, and nutrition services.
- High capacity and empowered civil society: We work with civil society organizations to improve their capacity to serve as key intermediaries and brokers for citizen involvement in education, health and nutrition.
- Spaces and opportunities for civil society and government to interact productively: We facilitate collaboration and dialogue between citizens and governments. This could include helping government institutions design mechanisms to solicit and act on citizen feedback.
- Strengthened open governance programs and initiatives. We strengthen government-led programs that seek to improve transparency and reduce corruption in government functions, including by analyzing impact and conducting costing analysis.
- Better understanding of incentives and accountability ecosystems. We analyze the full ecosystem to help citizens, civil society organizations and governments understand how to make positive change happen in a complex environment.
seeking an intern to work in R4D’s ACE team supporting the Leveraging
Transparency to Reduce Corruption program (LTRC). LTRC seeks
to understand best ways to limit corruption in the extractives sector through
open governance reforms. R4D is currently leading study development for
piloting promising approaches in-country in Africa, Asia and Latin
America. The successful applicant will have a significant role in desk
research and analysis, support LTRC program development implementation, and
develop external deliverables.
We are seeking a strategic, independent, and creative
individual to help us move forward our work and be a part of the ACE portfolio.
The opportunity represents a chance to work with a highly collaborative team
that embraces learning together.
of the intern include completing a desk review and supporting research design,
program implementation, and qualitative/quantitative design and analysis. These
- Conducting an organized literature review to understand the body of work on an identified subject, including managing a literature review database, identifying gaps in research and literature, and synthesizing research findings
- Supporting identification and design of research questions for other areas of study
- Supporting research design and in-country implementation
- Supporting qualitative and quantitative research through protocol creation, data cleaning, and analysis
- Coordinating and collaborating across LTRC country portfolios
- Supporting production of internal/external deliverables such as blogs, reports, memos, or concept notes
- Attending coordination meetings for LTRC Peru, and potentially for LTRC Nigeria and Mongolia
- Balancing work across projects
- Performing other research and program management duties as necessary
- Current undergraduate or recent graduate with an interest in research, corruption, and open governance
- Fluency in English and Spanish (preferred)
- Previous experience conducting literature reviews
- Previous experience with data analysis, program and research design implementation
- Ability to work independently
- Excellent oral and verbal communication skills, including the ability to analyze and synthesize detailed data to team leads
- High level of organization, attention to detail, professionalism, and reliability
- Ability to prioritize and manage work in a fast-paced environment across multiple projects and work streams with competing time/resource demands
Results for Development is an EOE/M/F/Vet/Disabled/Affirmative Action Employer committed to fostering
and nurturing an energetic, collaborative and diverse workforce. R4D provides market-competitive salaries and comprehensive employee benefits.