Country Director - Ethiopia
Results for Development (R4D) is a leading non-profit global development partner. We collaborate with change agents around the world — government officials, civil society leaders and social innovators — to create strong systems that support healthy, educated people. We help our partners move from knowing their goal to knowing how to reach it. We combine global expertise in health, education and nutrition with analytic rigor, practical support for decision-making and implementation and access to peer problem-solving networks. Together with our partners, we build self-sustaining systems that serve everyone and deliver lasting results. Overview: Practice Areas and current program scope of work:
R4D’s organizational matrix is based on sector-specific practices in Health, Education and Nutrition, and a series of cross-cutting practice areas. R4D’s program of work in Ethiopia currently focuses on Market Shaping and Sustainable Financing within the Health and Nutrition sectors, working with the Federal Ministry of Health and a broad set of other stakeholders from across the Government of Ethiopia, development partners, and the private sector, among others.
R4D is creating the new role of Country Director to build R4D’s portfolio of work in Ethiopia - to be R4D’s strategic leader in developing new programs that support R4D’s goal to strengthen health, education and nutrition systems in Ethiopia, and to play a critical role in delivering results through R4D’s current program of work in Market Shaping and Sustainable Financing within the Health and Nutrition sectors.
R4D’s Market Shaping practice works with change agents to shape systems and markets so that access to essential products and services — such as childhood pneumonia diagnosis and treatments, maternal health supplies, anti-malarial bed nets, HIV/AIDS medicines, nutrition supplements, books and sanitation technologies — is dramatically improved. R4D achieves this by aligning priorities and incentives of policymakers, procurers, financiers and manufacturers at the global and country levels to develop and execute solutions for underserved markets at scale. Since 2014, R4D has been designing and implementing a program to avert hundreds of thousands of child deaths from pneumonia in high-burden countries via the delivery of roughly 7.5 million treatments in Ethiopia and Tanzania, while shaping the local markets and systems to ensure sustainable access in the future. As part of this work, R4D is also conducting formative research to assess current levels of diagnoses and prescriptions, as well as designing and piloting potential cost-effective interventions to improve the rational use of medicines and the quality of care.
R4D’s Sustainable Financing practice works with country change agents to help them formulate, mobilize, allocate and monitor domestic resources. R4D provides support to advocates and policymakers to understand public financial-management systems and influence different stages of the budget cycle; analytics that provide partners with the information that they need to make timely, evidence-based decisions; and targeted research into financial instruments or schemes and their various pros and cons. Since 2015, R4D has worked with the Federal Ministry of Health (the ministry tasked with supporting the National Nutrition Coordinating Body) to track nutrition resources across all nutrition-related sectors and from all relevant sources of financing; the first comprehensive multi-sectoral assessment of nutrition financing was published in August 2017. The work program in 2018 will focus on strengthening government capacity and creating a government-led routine system of resource tracking for nutrition that can be used to track progress towards the goals of the National Nutrition Plan II and feed data into multi-sectoral planning and coordination processes.
Ethiopia is a core country of focus for the Market Shaping and Nutrition practice, and is a priority country for a number of R4D’s key collaborators (including the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, Big Win Philanthropy, the Children’s Investment Fund Foundation, and Nutrition International, among others). Further details are available on the R4D website regarding R4D’s broader portfolios in the Health practice area and the Nutrition practice area.
R4D is seeking a Country Director (CD) for its Addis Ababa, Ethiopia office to play a key leadership role in co-creating, along with domestic in-country stakeholders, a holistic strategy for strengthening health, education, and nutrition systems in Ethiopia leveraging R4D’s technical strengths. The Country Director will work with change agents both in and outside of the Ethiopian government to identify points of entry where R4D’s expertise and networks can generate lasting systemic change; build coalitions of domestic stakeholders aligned behind those strategies and entry points; lead fundraising and business development efforts in the country to mobilize resources to finance those strategies and programs; and provide both technical input to and programmatic oversight of Ethiopia-specific R4D programs and projects to ensure they are executed at a high-level and with impactful results. As part of the Country Director’s short- and medium-term portfolio, they will lead R4D’s existing Market Shaping and Sustainable Financing programs in Health and Nutrition in Ethiopia, as described above.
Significant expertise in global health and nutrition markets and systems, program management experience, strong communication and presentation skills, and an ability to think strategically and entrepreneurially about strategy and portfolio development, are required. Experience working closely with the Ethiopian government, major donors and philanthropic foundations, is also essential. Experience working with the Federal Ministry of Health is particularly relevant.
As the day-to-day leader of R4D programs in Ethiopia, the CD will play a critical role in representing R4D in all matters in Ethiopia. The CD will interact with a diverse set of local and global stakeholders, oversee the execution of high quality analytical and strategic work against accelerated timelines, manage and (as appropriate) help grow the R4D Ethiopia-based team, and will participate in key decision and recommendations affecting the overall organization.
This position is based in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia and will report to the R4D President and Chief Executive Officer.
Responsibilities will include, but will not be limited to, the following:
- Lead the strategic development and planning of R4D’s Ethiopia country strategy and portfolio of programs, including identifying creative ways to expand current work in the Nutrition, Education, and Health sectors leveraging R4D’s strengths and unique value proposition.
- As required on a project-by-project basis, oversee and manage R4D project teams comprising both of Ethiopia-based and non-Ethiopia-based staff.
- Lead new project conceptualization and current projects’ operationalization, including overseeing the development of work plans, and the production of high quality analytical and technical deliverables on time and on budget.
- Actively cultivate and manage relationships with key funders and partners in health, education, and nutrition, including the Ethiopian government, NGOs, bilateral and multilateral donor agencies and foundations (including the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation and USAID), and private sector actors.
- Mentor and coach R4D team members by providing direction, input, and feedback, and lead the hiring of new staff as needed.
- Oversee and manage all day-to-day aspects of the R4D Ethiopia Country Office, including ensuring compliance with Ethiopian law and R4D policies & procedures.
- 10+ years of relevant work experience in global health and nutrition systems and markets
- Master’s degree in Business Administration, Nutrition, Public Health, Economics, Finance, Public Policy, Public Administration, or related advanced degree
- Demonstrated track record in creating partnerships and generating new business and thought leadership opportunities
- Proven leadership experience in conceptualizing, planning, and executing projects
- Strong analytical, problem solving, and quantitative skills, with experience leading the development of analytical products
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills (preferably including fluency in Amharic), including demonstrated ability to prepare compelling presentations and written reports
- Highly collaborative and approachable leadership style, and enthusiastic about working in an open-structure environment with multicultural peers and staff
- High level of proficiency in Microsoft Office, particularly Excel, PowerPoint, and Word
- Willingness for up to 25% international and domestic travel
Results for Development is an EOE/M/F/Vet/Disabled/Affirmative Action Employer committed to fostering and nurturing an energetic, collaborative and diverse workforce. R4D provides market-competitive salaries and comprehensive employee benefits.